Saturday, November 5, 2011

PE2_iMovie

Chapter 3

Garrick Chow described iMovie is a one window application.  That is quite handy to work primarily in one screen to create and edit movies.  

Reading from left to right the panes are named as follows:

Project Pane*
Viewer
Event Library
Events Pane Browser*

*The user has the option to toggle panes by using the switch button (two arrows).




My event library contains the first video assignments and some assignments that I plan to reject.  I was good to know that iMovie saves all projects. 

I was familiar the iMovie Toolbar only by my own trial and error.



It appears that iMovie 11 shows the Advanced Toolbar on the interface.  I am curious to learn to use rating button (star) and reject clip button (x). 

The buttons are labeled with pictures for ease of use.  Many only require general knowledge to apply.

Chapter 4 introduced organizing clips.  The most intriguing was the tagging option and finding people.  Since I have used tagging I understand the taxonomy of relating objects or items.  Another “genius” function built in by Apple.  How convenient to have the ability to tag clips to be stored by keywords.

The final chapters 5, 6 and 7 were the most challenging for me.  Editing, special effects and audio will take some practice to get to an acceptable standard.  It appears that movie making is time and labor intensive.  From what I gather from the video course, planning is a critical component.  One must have ample footage or stills to work with.  Chow even mentioned that for the split screen special effect, one needs to plan shooting the subjects from the right and the left in order for the split screen to be used properly.   

I am challenged to move beyond the technical application of iMovie to those high ordered processes of synthesis and creating.  Sure, I can handle the application, but I am by no means ready for Sundance.  My goal is to practice using the iMovie to a level of competence.  Knowing there are professional that have mastered Final Cut Pro and other professional video editing software is really quite amazing.     

All in all, for the hobbyist and the student, iMovie provides a user-friendly interface to plan and create entertaining and educational movies.  Garrick Chow and Lynda.com provided a comprehensive series of videos that I plan to refer to for upcoming video assignments.


No comments:

Post a Comment